Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mini-supervisor

I've been at Keiko's farm for nearly a month now, and two new WWOOFers just came today. A german woman (23) and a french guy (21). Since I pretty well know my way around now, I get to help teach the new guys as part of my work. It's kinda fun being a mini-supervisor.

New photos have been taken, but Lansen's memory card won't fit in this computer's reader...perhaps in the next couple days. Saturday, we're planning to throw a random sweet sixteen birthday party for one of the farm workers (she's actually 60 and we have no idea when her actual birthday is, but she's a really cool woman and Lansen thought it would be fun to throw her a birthday party). I spent my post-lunch break taping cardboard scraps into a robot pinata and Masaru got some water balloons at a dollar store near his school, so we're gonna play water-balloon volleyball. I'm also making some poi for spinning lessons and there will probably be a music jam/dance party. Random fun stuff...I'm gonna miss Lansen when he's gone. He's another american and he's super cool. I laugh myself into tears at least weekly with him around...and we've had a couple serious conversations about life the universe and everything. Not quite to the same depth as I get into with the integral folks in Wayne co, but along similar lines. It felt like dusting the cob-webs off a cordoned off section of my brain. Good to do.

I renewed my WWOOF membership and I'm waiting for my new WWOOFer card. I'll probably start thinking about the rest of my summer here pretty soon. Other WWOOF hosts I'd like to try, other places to go, what to do, people to track down and visit. I'm also interested in finding a temple stay for a month-ish. I called a few while I was in Tokyo, but the English speaking was a bit slim, and they only do open retreats annually or semi-annually... I might find what I'm looking for if I head north? It is just so easy to keep on with the daily grind. It's hard to believe a month has gone by already! (Happy almost 4th of July, btw!)

No comments: