Thursday, June 26, 2008

Awesome Japanese English

At the 100 yen shop today I found a couple cool Japanese English tidbits:

on a tiny notebook (ie 2"x4") with a pink and red and black and white striped pokadot pattern, it says

Sensing a touch of love.
When you shine ultimately.

lol. I bought this to be my Reiki distance healing notebook. Please let me know if you would like me to write your name in my book. This way, I can send distance healing to everyone at once by giving reiki to the book. Awesome.

Some postcards I found with little doves and bamboo pictures on the cover says

Are you happy?
Sometime it's better just to let go.

and finally (my favorite), on a tiny spiral note book (think 2.5"x4") with a red cover and big silver letters it says Super sparkle, and in tiny silver letters,

Sparkle Soul

I study for a future aim every day and
do an effort to think about it. Believe
a lucky sparkle fantastically.

I laughed and laughed. Today at Lunch, the other american wwoofer and I were discussing the grammar differences between English and Japanese (it is sooooooo nice to be able to discuss again! We can use words like juxtapose and ubiquitous and bonafide (and fo shiz...) and trust that the other probably understands what we're talking about! What a blessing). In English, the fundamental sentence structure goes subject, verb, object. In Japanese, it's subject, object, verb, with a bunch of filler words that mean something to locals but seem to change randomly to me at this point. I don't know yet where to put adjectives (maybe at the end?), but I can now string together a few basic questions correctly and everyone around me gets very excited. It's so cute to see their eyes light up when I ask what the cat's name is (there are 4 and I keep forgetting one of them...).

But basically, a sentence like
Yesterday, I visited a big, beautiful, house in the country.
translated into Japanese and direct translated back becomes something like
I yesterday by the country big beautiful house visited.

No wonder they wind up with phrases like Oh, it's convenience! and Do an effort to think about. or Believe a lucky sparkle fantastically...

Laughter is a blessing to the world, eh?

1 comment:

David said...

If you could add my brother Daniel to the book, that would be great. He's had some issues recently.

And Engrish can be quite amusing.